Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Two Years After Katrina.

New Orleans is my Home. It's where I first felt God's presence in my life. New Orleans is my heritage, my family, my culture, my happiness, my peace, and my hope. Two years ago, Hurricane Katrina destroyed my Home. My family and I were lucky........We all survived. Our houses survived with very little damage. We watched Katrina destroy everything in her path from various parts of Texas and Louisiana. We cried and prayed together. We watched: People being rescued. Families broken apart. People left pets behind expecting them to die. Looting. Violence. People dying due to lack of food & water. Dead bodies floating in the flooded City. People losing hope in Humanity. People who lost Faith in our Government. Victims pleading for help. Life as you know it is Gone.
Since Katrina, I have seen and read about: Children suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Families broken apart. An Increase in the Crime/Murder Rate. People coming back to homes that are not livable. People still finding Loved Ones died after 2 years. An Increase in Depression. Parents suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. People afraid to leave their homes after dark due to the Violence. Life as you knew it before Katrina is Gone Forever.
New Orleans is slowly building her way back to the City she once was. She has a very long road ahead of her. The City is still in such a Sad State. Thank you to the People who are actively rebuilding my Home. I appreciate your hard work.
The day Katrina hit was a milestone in my life. It made me realize we do not live in a safe world. The safety we feel could be taken away in moments. In my short 33 years, I have seen war, terrorism at worst (Sept. 11th), natural disasters, and more violence than I thought was possible. I'm not shocked by what happens in the world. The only Safety we can fully rely on is the Safety of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Lord, Please bless New Orleans and the rest of the United States. Protect & Guide Us. Lead us to make Disciples for you. Without you, we are not Safe. We live in a fallen, sinful world....Lord, I ask you to lead us out of sin and into your comfort. Amen.

No comments: