Monday, November 10, 2008

Gumbo Cooking Weather.

I can not believe 2008 is almost over. 2009 is knocking on our door. It seem like yesterday was Jan. 1, 2008. Since I live in Texas, the weather is so unpredictable. I'm ready for a true cold winter. I want to wear sweaters, socks, and my coats! I want to make hearty wintry foods! I want to NOT have to turn on the air conditioner in November.

On Saturday, I went to my friends, Michelle and Don's, house. I made gumbo for the first time in 2 years. It was pretty warm outside, but we planned a gumbo making day weeks ago. The gumbo was pretty amazing (except Michelle did not want okra in the gumbo---imagine gumbo without okra?!). The gumbo did not have okrain it, but it was still very good. I'm not a typical Cajun. I make my roux after I have sauteed all the veggies/meat....and then I add the finished roux mixed with broth to the both with the veggies and meat. I have tried making the roux and then adding all the other ingredients but I ALWAYS burn the roux when I do it this way. The smell of burned roux makes me queasy. So, I continue to make gumbo "backwards".

What's some of your favorite wintry foods?

No comments: