Thursday, July 03, 2008

Sexuality

60 Minutes ran a touchy topic in the last couple of weeks: Gays in the Military: The Don't ask, Don't tell policy. I'm very conservative until it comes to my opinion/views on Homosexuality. I am extremely liberal when it comes to this topic. In college, I met an amazing man, Trevor, who is still one of the most important people in my life today. My 2nd semester Trevor told me he was Gay. He was the first friend who actually came out to me. I thought, "Okay, Now pass me the ketchup." In other words, it never affected my friendship with him. Trevor was still the same person he was before he told he was gay. He was still the wacky, adorable, zany person he always he was.

The Don't ask, Don't tell policy has always bothered me. It is better than the old policy of NO Gays in the Military at all. What difference should a person's sexual orientation have on their job performance as a Soldier? Sexual Orientation should not make a difference if a person wants to fight for this country. Honestly, I do not know why this is such a big deal. I would rather have a gay Soldier who is brave & strong fight for me than some of the straight men I know.

Last week, my friend Mel and I were talking about our "future" children. She said she would prefer a child who was not gay. I said I did not mind what sexual orientation my child had. I would love him/her all the days of my life. As long as my child was happy, then I would be happy for him/her.

I'm actually proud of California for allowing Gay Marriage. I understand most people feel marriage is between a man and woman.....for procreation. What happens when a man and woman get married and never have children? Should that couple not ever get married? Marriage should be based on Love, not on gender. In Society, it's hard to find Love. We live in a very cruel world. If a person does find someone, it should not ever matter what sexual orientation they have.